FONTE PLINIANA (PLINIAN SPRING)
Fonte Pliniana (Pliniana spring) in the park between the spa resorts of the Bagni Nuovi and the Bagni Vecchi.
Among the numerous attractions in the Parco dei Bagni, one of the most popular and suggestive destinations is certainly the Fonte Pliniana Cave. The spring is located at an altitude of 1,340 m and has been known since ancient times as a drink for hydropic treatment.
The use of the spring is also reserved for bathing sheep and horses because, due to centuries of custom, it is considered a community right and, as such, is enshrined in specific rules of local legislation and later also in special articles included in the deeds of succession of water concessions. Between the years 1874-76 a new road was built to the source, designed by the expert L. Zezzi, to replace the more inconvenient access from the Fonte S. Carlo down to the base of the Burrone d'Adda where the Pliniana is located. At first, the spring was sheltered by a wooden roof and it was only in 1908 that the characteristic artificial grotto was built against the rock, with stalactites and stalagmites and balconies facing the Adda. The project was designed by the architect Ramponi, who was very active in the upper valley at the time; the construction was carried out by workers from Brianza. In addition to the public use mentioned, the Pliniana water was also exploited industrially in the past. As early as 1873, an initial bottling plant was set up at Castellanella by the Nazzoni family and, later, the Pliniana Society was founded for the same purpose.