Since 1962 the Palazzo De Simoni (17th century) has housed the 27 rooms of the Bormio’s Civic Museum
A Small but Precious Museum
The Civic Museum of Bormio is composed by 27 rooms, some of which are decorated with Baroque-style stuccoes and frescoes, and it is organized in two sections: artistic and ethnographic. A collection of over 4000 pieces demonstrates the local culture, crafts, work, folklore, sports, war, art, and religious life. Valuable paintings and altar pieces coexist with tools for daily use by craftsmen and farmers.
A small cellar houses the tools used in the different stages of milk processing, while a large room houses the tools used for farm works. The rooms dedicated to old means of transport are interesting, where in addition to old carriages and large sleds; the diligence of Austrian engineering becomes apparent in the vehicles that crossed the Stelvio Pass until 1915. Not to be forgotten are the collections of old skis.
To testify the importance of women’s textile activity, the Civic Museum of Bormio preserves an interesting collection of spinning machines and wheels. One room hosts also war relics referable to the Wars of Independence, and especially, to the First World War.
The artistic section offers portraits, paintings, furniture, frescoes, altarpieces that are examples of the local religiosity and culture.