| YOUR HOLIDAY STARTS FROM HERE
The Park of the Rupestrian Inscriptions of Grosio, established in 1978 to protect and exhibit the archaeological heritage of the Dosso dei Castelli (Hill of the Castles), dominates the town of Grosio, which is halfway between Tirano and Bormio.
Within the Park stand out the imposing ruins of the Old Castle of S. Faustino (X-XI century) and the New Castle Viscounteo (1350 – 1375), both built in high positions for safety reasons. Next to the ruins of the two structures are the splendid Rupe Magna (Great Cliff), with its rock engravings, and the Antiquarium, opened in 2006, which is the venue for the Center for Studies of the exposition of the results of archaeological excavations.
The rock carvings of Rupe Magna and Dosso Giroldo
Rupe Magna, one of the largest engraved rocks in the Alpine region, was discovered in 1966 by Davide Pace, and has more than 5000 engraved figures, dating between the end of the Neolithic Period (fourth millennium B.C.) and the Iron Age (first millennium B.C.). The themes depicted are numerous: anthropomorphic figures, animals and geometric figures, plus cups and objects from daily life. Some crosses, the symbol of Christian piousness, document the continuity of the engravings throughout the historical period.
Another group of rocks, the Dosso Giroldo, also discovered in 1970 by Davide Pace, lies to the north of the Dosso dei Castelli. Composed of over 50 rocks, of particular interest is the one called Roccia degli Armigeri (Rock of Squires), for the presence of anthropomorphic figures armed with shield and lance dating from the Iron age.