| YOUR HOLIDAY STARTS FROM HERE
Bormio and its surroundings are artistic masterpieces thanks to their monuments and churches. This summer plan an itinerary to discover the precious architecture of Alta Valtellina.
The Alta Valtellina is a land rich of historic proofs and it could be experienced as an extraordinary artistic and cultural adventure, visiting its gorgeous ancient centers, country abodes and archeological establishments, towers, churces and castles, are landmarks that with years to follow they kept their charm.
More than 12 churches of Alta Valtellina are offered to visitors, tourists and residents; a voluntary cultural project: Open Churches that combine the desire of knowledge of an enthusiastic group of art and local history with the ambition of knowledge sharing.
“The time of churches seems that it had a strange evolution: repetitive, eternity and centuries-old, but always recent and in communication with contemporary age. Maybe is for that reason that the time makes art and holy a perfect combination that makes our churches, day after day, a priceless and alive widespread museum”.
Discover the territory with guided visits and Open Churches
In order to explore the cultural and artistic adventure, herewith the list of the guided free visits in Bormio and its surroundings:
Until 30 August every Wednesday is organized the guided visits to Bormio’s historic center (upon compulsory booking at Civic Museum tel. 0342 912216).
Furthermore, the voluntary guide of Open Churches project will carry you during the summer along the discovery of many holy buildings. It will be sufficient to show up at the place at the time prearranged.
- SS. Gervasio and Protasio Collegiate | Thursday 10, 17 and 24 August from 10.00 a.m to 11.00 a.m;
- S. Crocefisso Church | Thursday 10, 17 and 24 August from 11.15 a.m to 12.15 p.m;
- S. Spirito Church| Monday 21 August from 6 p.m to 7 p.m;
- S. Ignazio Church | Friday 18 and 25 August from 5 p.m to 6 p.m;
- Sassello Church | Thursday 10 and 24 August from 5.30 p.m to 6 p.m.
info: Bormio Turism Office Tel. 0342 903300
Valdisotto with its towns, is rich of many Churches and holy buildings that worth absolutely to be visited.
Amogst the other the one that stands out is the: Cepina Ossuary. It is adorned with fine indoor frescos and the S.Bartolomeo de Castelaz Church is miraculously survived from the ruin of Pola Valley in the year 1987, which destroyed completely S. Antonio Morignone town.
Not to be missed as well the S.Maria Assunta Church in Cepina and Madonna del Caravaggio Church in Oga, one of the few shrine of the place, from there a gorgeous view overlooking Bormio.
- SS.Pietro, Marcellino ed Erasmo Church | Wednesday 16 August at 4 p.m in S.Pietro
- S.Maria Assunta Church – Ossuary and Brothers’ Oratory| Thursday 10 and 17 August at 2.30 p.m in Cepina
- S.Lucia Church| Thursday 10 and 17 August at 4 p.m in S.Lucia
- Madonna di Caravaggio Church | Thursday 10 and 17 August from 5 p.m in Oga
- S.Bartolomeo de Castelaz Church| Saturday 12 – 19 August from 4 p.m to 6 p.m in S.Bartolomeo
In Teregua, a district of Valfurva city town appears the Holy Trinity, opened since few years afterwords an important restoration. It was built at the beginning of five hundred on the rests of an old chapel. In apsidal area there is the presence of an important fresco’s cycle dated back to 1546 and created by the painter: Vincenzo de Barberis from Brescia.
In Uzza, stands out the Benevolence’s Holy Church, built in the beginning of the year 1700 with the aim to preserve and add value to the outdoor fresco of an house in Bormio: the Madonna del Latte e S.Giuseppe.
- Holy Trinity Church of Teregua | Every Thursday of August, from 5.30 p.m to 6.30 p.m
- Beata Vergine della Misericordia Church of Uzza| Every Friday of August, from 5.30 p.m to 6.30 p.m
Sondalo already famous as the whole territory of Valtellina during the Roman Empire, it changed from a domination to another during the last centuries due to its strategic military position. In memory of this ancient past, is adviced to visit the historic center of Sondalo, between ancient and rustic houses and the ancient S.Marta Church (XIV Century) where is preserved one of the most relevant fresco’s cycle related to the painter: Giovannino from Sondalo.
- Historic Center, Sondalo’s courtyard and S.Marta Church | Thursday 10 August from 3.30 p.m
info: Tourism office of Sondalo tel. 0342 801816
The Morelli Village worked as a sanatory for fighting the tubercolosis thanks to the pure air of Alta Valtellina for 25 years from 1946 to 1971. Today the village turned into the Hospital “Eugenio Morelli”.
- Morelli Village guided by experts| Saturday 12 August, at 9.30 a.m | Saturday 19 August, at 2.30 p.m
- Ex sanatory liberty Pineta of Sortenna | Wednesday 16 August at 2.30 p.m
For further informations related to the village, visit the website: www.museodeisanatori.com