| YOUR HOLIDAY STARTS FROM HERE
Buglio, Combo, Dossiglio, Dossorovina and Maggiore… do you really know them?
Bormio, with its 1000+ year history, boasts a rich cultural heritage, made up of many traditions. The subdivision in districts of the town is very dear to the inhabitants. The first proof dates back to 1304, confirmed in the Liber Stratarum, a veritable and unique ancient city planning.
The districts of Bormio
The name given to the different districts is not fortuitous but linked to the features of the districts or to some historical events:
– Buglio: the name derives from bui (fountain, in local dialect) which is also the symbol, on a blue background. In this district you find many wash houses where the women used to do the family “wash”;
– Combo: separated from Dossorovina by the old bridge, its name originates from the geographical position in a combol (hump in local dialect). The symbol is a cat on a white background and the inhabitants of this district are still known as gat (cats);
– Dossiglio: the symbol is a mill wheel on a green background due to the wide presence of mills in this area, which was the commercial and industrial heart of town in the past. It’s so called because located on a small hump formed by the Frodolfo stream and reaches the Maggiore district;
– Dossorovina: from ruina (ruin, in local dialect), the symbol is the Kuerc and the Civic Tower while the color is yellow; its name comes from a huge mudflow which, from the Reit mount, reached the Kuerc square submerging most of this district (which was rebuilt later);
– Maggiore: the prosperous district of Bormio, with its palaces and antique portals. The colour is red and its symbol is the luf (wolf, in local dialect), exactly as the noble families were called in the past
The districts of Bormio founded an Association in 1998 with the goal to organize and run local events during the year, as well as pass down the old traditions from one generation to another, such as the Pasquali and the Palio delle Contrade
Cover photo: Emanuela Santelli